Public and Private Education Law
Education is universally recognized as being the key to economic competitiveness and prosperity in our nation. Improvements in education have been realized by increasing the availability of high quality educational choices such as charter schools, virtual education, private schools, and magnet programs. With this increase in educational choice has come greater accountability requirements for public and private schools in state and federal laws. Our attorneys are actively involved in education policy development and education law in Florida and Georgia. We are ready to help your public or private Pre-K-12 school develop and navigate through the increasingly complex rules and regulations governing education.
Our attorneys have served as general and special counsel to Pre-K-12 charter schools and private schools in a variety of capacities such as
- Due diligence for site acquisition
- School site lease negotiations
- Construction contract review
- Charter issues, from application to appeals, including termination and State and Federal funding
- Contract negotiation and drafting, including contracts to operate a charter school with an authorizer or contracts between schools and educational management organizations
- Government in the sunshine and public records issues
- Civil and administrative litigation
- Employment issues
- McKay Scholarships for private schools
Our attorneys have also served as mediator on behalf of the Florida Department of Education in disputes between charter schools and school boards.
For more information, please contact Melissa Gross Arnold.