Shawn A. Arnold Esq., B.C.S.
Mr. Arnold, a Board Certified Criminal Trial Attorney and member of the Florida and Georgia Bars, graduated with Honors from the University of Florida earning an undergraduate degree in History as well as his Juris Doctorate. Mr. Arnold spent four and one-half years as a prosecutor for the Fourth Judicial Circuit in Duval, Nassau and Clay counties. In total Mr. Arnold has 44 jury trials as first chair and more than 100 second chairs and non-jury trials. Mr. Arnold was assigned to Misdemeanor, Felony, Auto Theft, Repeat Offender Court and Special Prosecution/White Collar Crime. In Special Prosecution, Mr. Arnold handled many high profile public corruption and theft cases.
Since moving into private practice in 2004, Mr. Arnold has practiced in the areas of criminal defense, civil litigation, bankruptcy and corporate formation. In criminal defense, Mr. Arnold has represented thousands of clients in Florida and Georgia. Mr. Arnold has also obtained his Board Certification in Criminal Trial law, a distinction held by just 400 of the approximately 90,000 lawyers in Florida. For more information about the Board Certification, please refer to the Florida Bars Website at: http://www.floridabar.org/certification
In the area of civil litigation, Mr. Arnold has represented businesses and universities in employment law defense, as well as actions including breach of contract and other improper conduct in business transactions, including fraud, interference with business relationships, breach of fiduciary duties and unfair dealings. Mr. Arnold also has experience in residential and commercial landlord/tenant issues, purchases and sales of businesses, sale or development of real property, construction contracts and partnership disputes.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Arnold ran a successful restaurant franchise in South Florida for four years. Since moving into private practice, Mr. Arnold has helped start numerous businesses and has provided advice on a variety of practical and legal issues facing the small and medium sized business owner. He has also helped business and individuals in the area of bankruptcy law.
Mr. Arnold has been the Chair of the Jacksonville Bar Association Criminal Law Section from 2007-2011. Additionally, from 2004 to 2008, Mr. Arnold has served as the Commissioner of Athletics for the Jacksonville Bar Association. Mr. Arnold has been recognized as one of the top Jacksonville Criminal Defense attorneys by Jacksonville Magazine as well as by SuperLawyers.com.
Mr. Arnold is married to Melissa Gross-Arnold, partner at the Arnold Law Firm. They have one son, Benjamin.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Consumer Bankruptcy, creditor rights
- Commercial Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- J.D. - December, 1999
- Honors: With Honors
- Auto Theft Prosecution; Identity Theft Prosecution, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office & Florida Department of Law Enforcement, 2003 - 2004
- State Attorney/Public Defender School, University of Florida College of Law, August 1, 2006 - August 8, 2006
- Jury Selection Seminar, Jacksonville Bar Association, 2007
- Criminal Law Update Seminar, Jacksonville Bar Association, 2007 - 2010
- Florida Criminal Law Ethics Symposium, Jacksonville Bar Association, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Academy of Defense Attorneys
- Florida Academy of Defense Attorneys
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- Barrister, Chester Bedell Inns of Court